Friday, October 7

Posted by Claire on 8:32 PM No comments
Today marks an interesting day in my life. For the second time in less than a year, I find myself jobless in an economy with almost a 10% unemployment rate. Lucky me.

Actually, I'm not nearly as freaked out and worried as I probably should be. One: I know God provides and I don't want to be anywhere that He doesn't want me to be. Two: I hated my job anyway and have been actively searching for a new job for about three months now.

This is the story of a bum bride. Newlywed, newly Austin-ized, newly graduated, and not so newly frustrated.

We have a pretty inaccurate picture of what life in our mid-twenties looks like. We grow up thinking that we will be flooded with job offers right when we graduate. We believe that the first job we take is going to be the career we've been dreaming of.  We believe we make best friends in college and all move to the same place and end up neighbors.  We think that marriage means we get to spend all our time with our new spouse. This is a horrible lie.

I started applying for jobs four months before I was going to graduate. I was not employed until four months after. My first job was a dreadful disaster. I moved to a brand new city I'd never even visited before. I had no outlets for making friends or meeting people. My only and best friend was my husband, who I really only saw for two or three sleepy hours an evening.

Before I took my first post-grad job, I proudly boasted the Trophy Wife title. I served my husband by making sack lunches, doing dishes, preparing our home, cooking dinners, and all those things you hate doing for yourself. Still I was pretty miserable. Miserable not because I didn't love doing those things but because I only truly enjoyed them when my husband was here. And with a job that kept him working a very inconvenient 50 hours a week, my husband would come home reduced to an exhausted, muffled version of himself. I didn't have any friends who were also "trophy wives." And though I was in a small group of other young married couples, I CRAVED human interaction the other six days a week.

Accepting a new job was definitely an answered prayer. I had people to talk to but soon realized that our department was overstaffed. This meant that I spent most of my day coming up with work for myself to do, which was eventually discouraged. I realized that my predecessors experienced similar situations before they left. Most people would assume that getting paid to do nothing would be wonderful. Not me. Okay so maybe it was great for a few hours but if it's the norm, you feel pretty useless. I don't do unproductive and I don't do doing nothing. Not cool. It didn't take long for me to realize that this wasn't going to work long term. So, I started looking and praying for a new job to come along. One didn't. And today, my position got cut.

I've probably applied to 75 jobs in the past year. I've maybe heard from ten. Offered one.

Maybe I'll stay a trophy wife for a while this time. I know I will appreciate it more. I've missed my husband. My home misses me. I know God has more for me than to spend ten hours of my day dedicated to a job I hate. Maybe we can pray that I'll win the lotto or that I'll be paid for my fabulousness alone.

We can wish.

Well I raise my cream soda to a new start. To being unemployed, again. To being a housewife. I needed a vacation anyway...

0 comments:

Post a Comment