I am officially a FREELANCER!
One of my great friends, a former boss, threw me a bit of work this morning!
She was inspired by my Year in Review and for the next few days, I am gainfully employed as a graphic design & marketing contractor. I am so excited and I really want to do a great job for her.
This being my first freelancing job, I had no idea what to say when she asked what I would charge for the project. I literally spent the better part of an hour wrestling with how I was going to generate a fair price for my work without underselling myself or overcharging a friend.
I was about ready to pull my hair out!
They gave me some great tips for pricing:
1. Estimate how long it will take you to complete the job.
Thankfully, she was very specific and helpful with what information I would need to highlight and how she wanted it done. This made it very easy to compare it with my Year in Review card and determine how long it would take.
2. Consider what the person would pay to task a current employee with the project.
If an employee is paid $15/hr and works on the project for three days, thats $360!
3. Research what your peers are charging.
Most of my girlfriends suggested using either a flat rate based upon time estimates or charging by the hour. By asking around, I knew that a fair hourly rate for this type of work was about $20/hr. That seemed so high to me! Since this project was for a friend and is my first official freelancing job, I felt a flat rate would be most appropriate.
I also learned that the type of graphic design I have been working on is called INFOGRAPHICS
Isn't that awesome?
I am totally adoring this style!
I can't wait for my finished product! I really hope I'm worth it and do a good job!


Awe yeah! Congrats have fun freelancing! :)
ReplyDelete-wHiT
Thanks girl!
ReplyDeleteI
ReplyDeleteLOVE
INFOGRAPHICS!!!
Have ya checked out dribbble.com yet? it is SO addicting! Find a great color palette and your info graphic will look awesome! Have fun with it!
Way to go!! I agree you did a great job on the Thurmon's year in review...I mean who wouldn't want you to work for them :) <3 you and miss you always!
ReplyDeleteThis is so great!
ReplyDeletexoxo - kylie
www.livinglovingandphotographing.com
@ Jamie - What a fun site! If this turns into a more regular shindig, I'll definitely be visiting it a lot!
ReplyDelete@ Aubri - Aww you're so sweet! We miss you both terribly!
@ Kylie - Thanks! I wish I could take credit for the infographics-graphic but I just borrowed it for an example. But that does bring up a good point that I need to remember to photo credit when its not mine!
Hope you enjoyed poking around the blog!
Congrats thats awesome that you have been giving the chance to help her out. Hopefully this will open the door for many new opportunities for you in the future.
ReplyDeleteHello! I came across your blog on Black Little Button's, so I wanted to say hi! I love finding other newlywed blogs to follow :-)
ReplyDelete