Sunday, December 4

Posted by Claire on 5:58 PM 3 comments
I've been feeling very non-Christmasy lately.

For all the decorating that took place for October and November, December makes me look like a slacker. Our tree is still up but I only have four ornaments and some leftover gift wrapping ribbon on it. The only reason that the ornaments are even there is they just happened to be in the same box as my Charlie Brown Christmas tree. It's the one my mom got us last year, knowing we would be too busy with graduating and the wedding and the honeymoon and moving to decorate. Lastly, my sister painted for our home a giant ornament night-light that shines "Merry Christmas," it's sitting on our TV stand.

Yeah that's about it.
Isn't that so un-festive? It's definitely un-spirited for me. I do love Christmastime but life has just had other plans for my creativity.

Last year, Aaron and I came back from our honeymoon in Mexico on Christmas Eve and went straight from the airport to his dad's house to celebrate. This year, we aren't even sure if we will still be in our apartment by then let alone knowing where we are going to spend the holidays. It seems silly to put up a Christmas tree that you'll have to take down before the 25th.

But I'm thinking I need to take the initiative and kill two turtle doves with one stone: Festivity & Boredom.

Thus, I will be embarking on a new adventure that is DIY Stockings!

I'm kind of nervous about it because growing up I've had the same stocking all my life. {.. or at least for as long as I can remember ..} So I want to make sure that I pick out a design and a pattern that will suit this new Thurmon family for years to come. This means it will also need to be something that can be fairly easily replicated for any Thurmon-ites that should be borne out of our holy union. Also it will need to be a fairly frugal craft activity, seeing as how I have no employment offer wrapped underneath our sad little undecorated tree. And I'm a pretty novice sewer.. in fact I'm pretty sure my machine will need some repairs before I get started or I'll be doing this by hand!

Ahhh I'm already salivating at the idea of going to Hobby Lobby!
Or maybe I smell Aaron baking cookies for Santa.

There may exist a twinkle of hope for a little merriment this year yet.

3 comments:

  1. It's ok, we haven't decorated either. We may not even have time to get a tree this year, because I'm busy trying to graduate, and then we'll be traveling to see family. I have a wreath on the door (I did that during a study break!) Oh, and I have a little Nativity scene out. That's it.

    Good luck with the stockings! Let us know how they go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like putting up decorations much closer to Christmas so that all the cute sparkly stuff still feels Christmassy at Christmas. :) Otherwise, I feel like it just blends in with the apartment, and I don't appreciate it that much.
    You guys have to move before Christmas?! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristina: Christmas is where you make it I guess. :)

    Harriet: Thats a good point about waiting till later in December! And it's looking like a move is in the near future.. I'm kind of bummed about it. But I guess that's a blog for another day!

    :)

    ReplyDelete