Friday, October 18

Posted by Claire on 6:30 PM No comments
Graham's First Day!
Today concludes the last day of my first week back to work. I have to say that things went better than I had expected. Everyone tells you how terrible and awful it is going back to work after having a baby. Being horrified that gloom and doom would be my reality actually helped make it easier when it turned out to not be so bad. Still, I do not feel like we are anywhere close to being in a routine again.

Monday was a holiday so I (selfishly) kept my baby home with me for one last day. We had family visiting over the weekend which was wonderful but meant he was being loved on and held by everyone but momma. I squeezed in as many cuddles as I could.

Aaron and I have agreed that life with a kid only holds you back as much as you allow. This meant that we went to small group that evening, despite having not yet prepared everything for the big day to come. I'm glad we went. I don't think that looking back on my life I will regret having spent our time doing adult things with our kids in tow. I don't want my children to become an excuse to not participate in everyday life, though I'm sure there will be those times. Anyway, we're making an effort to stay involved.

On Tuesday morning, as we packed up our little bug with his "school supplies," I prayed Philippians 4:6-7 in my head over and over again. God was going to give me a peace beyond understanding. His peace. Aaron and I dropped him off together and chat with his caregiver for a bit. I gave my baby an overwhelming number of kisses and hugs and handed him over. I got back in the car, had a few tears, and felt okay by the time we were on the highway. I didn't even call during the day to check on him!

I will say that having a daycare that we are 100% comfortable with does wonders for a worried soul. I know he is being cared for by ladies who want to teach him about Jesus and love on him. And seriously, who wouldn't want to play here?


 The work day passed fairly quickly. Late that afternoon my sweet husband needed an emergency root canal and tooth extraction. This meant that we picked up our boy later than originally planned and made it home just in time for him to sleep through our snuggle time. 

Day two was not so easy. With the rough evening we had before, I had little time to get things prepped ahead of time. I had been rushed to get ready and failed to spend a few moments to cuddle with him in the morning. So when I dropped him off, by myself this time, it was harder to leave and I was obviously upset. Of course that would be right when the other mommies are coming to drop off their kiddos. "It gets easier..."

So I've been told.

They emailed me pictures of him during lunch that day. It was a nice little blessing.

Thursday I had to get back to business by attending a client dinner that evening. Not exactly what a new mom wants to have to do her first week back at work. Still, I knew it was important for me to stay visible amongst the company leadership. Plus it is always nice to have a good steak on the company dime. ;)

It's Friday now and I'm sure you can imagine how excited I am to have the weekend. Going from spending 18 waking hours a day enjoying my bug to 6 is... well... sad. But I know that God has me where I am right now for a purpose. Perhaps He can use me more productively in the workforce than on my couch. I just need to keep reminding myself of that and patiently endure this season of my life, trusting Him to use it to teach me about His love. Comfort never bore spiritual growth in the way that struggle does. And through it I lean on God's promises. Trusting that He is a faithful God who wants to give good gifts to His children, I ask for patience, peace, and perhaps a new circumstance.


0 comments:

Post a Comment